Friday 6 December 2013

Dock Side (Painting of)

Painting of the Dock Side.




Hi all, sorry I have been really busy with family and work commitments to post some blog, hopefully I will get some up over the next few days.

Painting the dock side. I have thought a lot about how I was going to paint the dock, spray gun or brush? In the end I have decided to use both. I am going to paint some with brushes first and use spray gun to do some of the finer detaling.

I really like using Acrylic paints, personally I get a better finish with these than any gloss paint that I have used.  I am sure there will be loads of people who would prefer other makes of paint and swear that these are the best, but with painting I think it is very much each to their own. I would say that use the type of paint that you are happy using.  The Tamiya range of paints I find give me the results that I am looking for.  I will list the colours that I have used below.
Tamiya XF-1      Flat Black
Tamiya XF-10    Flat Brown
Tamiya XF-22    RLM Grey
Tamiya XF-24    Dark Grey
Tamiya XF-49    Khaki
Tamiya XF-56    Metallic Grey
Tamiya XF-62    Olive Drab
Tamiya XF-64    Red Brown
Tamiya XF-66    Light Grey
Tamiya X-10      Gun Metal


The End of the Dock
I started by dampening the area being painted with just plain water and the using a mixture of the above paints apart from XF-56 this was used for the bollards.  It was just a case of building up colours in a random fashion, basically these were all thin washes until you accquire the desired finish.  Of course I then went in a detailed some individual stones and added detail to the manhole covers (or should that be personhole covers these days) and drains.  This acutally took about a couple of weeks to finish waiting on all the paint to dry before adding the next wash over.  The railway track has also been painted with a metalic colour and weathered accordingly. I have also tried to obtain the greenish tide marks that you see, I did this with XF-62, the final touch for this will be adding some sort of powder to give it a more raised effect.  I think I will experiment with some flock material and try to make it look like algae, I will let you know how that goes in a later post.

 I will use the spray gun later to add more subtle details that you can get whilst spraying and I will possible use some weathering powders (dry) to give some more finer details. Hopefully on the photograph to the left you will see my attempt to create the greenish slime.
 This shot gives a great impression on how big the diorama is going to be. Overall I am quite happy with the effect that I have achived. As I said before still some work to do before dock is complete.
 
And heres how it all started before any paint got near it. WOW!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment