Tuesday 8 October 2013

Dockside

Dockside.

Dockside:

I decided to start with the dockside as this would provide the  base for whole diorama.  I had though to build this from scratch but thought that doing this over a 4 foot base board that by the time I got to the end I would be blind.  So it was off to the laptop and our friend Google to see what I could find online.
Right away I found these ITALERI (click in British flag unless your Italian is good) dock units  Dock With Stairs Catalogue # 5615   all the sizes are on the website.  This unit along with Long Dock Catalogue # 5612  are completely modular and can be built in what ever arrangement your want or require. 

 I purchased these Italeri kits from Jadlam Racing Models via Ebay.  I was very impressed with the service that I got from JRM, very quick delivery, securely packed and a good price, no problems at all. Even got a 10% discount for my next order online.

A good look at all the sprues found that Italeri have done a very good job with the mouldings very little flash.  I was very pleased to find that after removing from sprue and cleaning up parts needed very little work to fit together, as this was my 1st return to kit building I thought to myself wow! plastic kit building has changed a lot in the 20 odd years since my last venture in modelling.  These units build up very quickly and really fit well together.

As you can see from photograph I have placed these on top of 2 pieces of 2 x 1 timber, I wanted these to give me a bit more depth for the dry dock. I will plaster the front one and make it look like a concrete base to the dockside.


Dock With Stairs Catalogue # 5615

Here is a closer look at the unit with stairs, a couple of cuts and you can remove the cut out section to allow the fitting of the stairs. Again I found doing this job very easy to do and all parts fitted with very little effort or work to make them fit. Overall I am delighted with both the quality and easy of building for this model. Well done Italeri.






This photograph is an aerial view of the dock side both the docksides have Railway/Tram lines on them as well as Drains and what I would call manhole covers, but in this day of PC correctness I better call them Personhole covers. These tracks are molded into base.  Again I was going to have a couple of wagon on the dockside.










Alan
8th October 2013





No comments:

Post a Comment