Wednesday 16 October 2013

The Main Attraction Part 1

Bronco Models. 


Product Id :CB35104

 Size :1/35
  Released Date:29/07/13.

The following information is taken from the Bronco Models website:-
The Type XXIII was a small coastal submarine developed by the Germans simultaneously with the larger Type XXI. Work began in late 1942 and used the same basic hull design of the more advanced Type XXII, which was never completed. The submarine was to be completed in sections at different factories, which would then be transported to the shipyard for final assembly. One of the design considerations was that the submarine was small enough that it could be transported by rail. As a result the submerged displacement was only 258 tons, power was provided a 572 hp MWM 6-cylinder diesel engine and 572 hp AEG electric motor. A small 35 hp "creeping" motor was also fitted, all three motors drove a single shaft. Speed was 9.7 knots surfaced and 12.5 knots submerged, with a range of 4,800 kilometres at 8 knots surfaced. Armament was 2 bow torpedo tubes with 2 torpedoes. The Type XXIII was built in Germany, France, Italy and Russia, with a total of 61 completed by the end of the war. However only 6 boats went on was patrol, of these U-2336 sunk the last merchant ship in European waters of WWII, on 7 May 1945.

I got my U-Boat model from Wonderland Models in Edinburgh, I was going through to a  Hearts V St. Mirren so I thought that me and the wife could make a day of it and after the football have a nice meal in Edinburgh. Wonderland models were out of stock of the model as was the rest of the UK I think. I placed an order via their website and was advised a date as to when they hoped to have more stock. The day arrived as to when this item was in stock and I got an email that this in fact happened and that delivery date would be at the end of the week. This was delivered on said date, I have received a great service from Wonderland Models from start to finish.

I had already started the kit, before my son in law coaxed me into doing this blog, as I have said before I have never done this sort of thing before, so I hope you find it interesting.  So I don't have any photographs of parts and building the U-Boat. Sorry. I will use photographs from the Bronco Models website.
                                                            The first thing that grabs you about this kit is the actual size of the model at almost 1 meter long its huge.  1st look at parts shows then to be clean and crisps lines. I found the quality of the plastic to be good. On trail runs the parts fit together well with what looks like very little work to make the fit properly. There is a very detailed instruction leaflet included with the kit and a copy of the box artwork on a printed sheet. Overall, on first impressions I am delighted with model.    






















































I will put up pictures of the model in next post as I said earlier the model is almost complete as I did not intend to make a blog.

I have decided to make my model # U2326 as this U-Boat was  surrendered at Dundee May 1945, this is one of the 5 options that you have with this model.







No comments:

Post a Comment